The charity Peterborough Environment City Trust (PECT), in association with Eastern Angles Theatre Company, is commissioning six writers to create short pieces for performance at the Green Festival 2016. There will be a launch event at the Green Festival on Saturday 13th August in Cathedral Square, with the main performances on the evening of Saturday 20th August at the Green Backyard.
The Future Floodlands stage is at once a collaborative group project as a vehicle for poetry performances, plays and story telling as well as environmentally focused art installation. Concept and stage set created by James Tovey, with lights and projections by Luke Payn and featuring the cartoon design skills of John Elson. Read James’ inspiration here: futurefloodlands.org.uk
WHAT WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO EXPLORE IN YOUR COMMISSION:
Future Floodlands: exploring our relationship with a climate shift and a flooded future
Floods have shaped human history, particularly in the Fens and low lying Levels of the United Kingdom, featuring in many legends, myths and religious texts. Human communities have used changes in water boundaries and heights purposely to aid agriculture, trade and communication.
But recent years have brought us broadcasts and reports of watery destruction both nationally and internationally. We are already seeing the fallout on resources, refugees, the natural environment and our health. With predicted rising temperatures and sea levels these flooded scenes are set to become increasingly common.
Our future landscape may be deeply altered and challenging but it may not be environmentally unfriendly. We may find ourselves venturing back to the floodlands, seeking a new life in the communities that travel by boat over the submerged townships, roads and fields on tracts of water connecting island communities. What would it be like?
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
• We are looking for performance pieces; this can be in the medium of poetry, prose or script. The piece may involve movement or other theatrical techniques but it must be clear what and why these are used
• The aim is to evoke an emotional response from the audience, encouraging them to consider and engage with a realistic potential environmental change and our place within it
• The piece will be approximately 10 to 15 minutes long
• The piece must be performed by a maximum of 2 performers
• Any effects must be created by the performer
• There will be workshops and one-on-one meetings to support the development process with Keely Mills (poet) and Poppy Rowley (theatre director)
• The pieces will be rehearsed at the end of July/beginning of August with Eastern Angles director Poppy Rowley
• Actors will perform the pieces, or there is the option to perform your own piece
WHAT IS ON OFFER?
• A fee of £150
• Support from Eastern Angles Theatre co, PECT & The Green Backyard
• Your work will be performed as part of The Green Festival
• Working with professional actors and theatre directors
HOW TO APPLY:
We require one A4 page example of your previous work and one A4 page of your proposed idea. To ensure anonymous judging please do not include your name on either A4 page.
This can be written in prose, bullet points, images, inspiration, etc. whatever format you feel best summarises your idea. Feel free to go further afield than the above inspiration as long as it links to the theme of Future Floodlands which are above.
(NB: sending less than an A4 page for either will not be penalised.
We would prefer this format for applications:
In your email please use for SUBJECT: Future Floodlands, Application for Commission
Please include the following information in the body of the email
Preferred method of contact:
Title of attached example work (A4 page):
Title of attached proposed idea (A4 page):
Please specify whether you would like to perform your piece (NB, if you end up writing a two-hander you could perform one part):
YES I would like to perform my piece
NO I would like someone else to perform my piece
DON’T KNOW YET I would like to decide nearer the time
Please email your application to Poppy Rowley at: firstname.lastname@example.org
by 12pm on the 29th April 2016
Commissions will be awarded on 9th May 2016